Monday, September 24, 2007

Iftar & Reflections on my religion on this holy month


Iftar ; this refers to the meal muslims have in the evening to break our fast during the holy month of Ramadan.


This is the first time I am in Singapore during Ramadan. I am impressed the way Iftars are organized here. Even in islamic countries like the UAE it is not so well organized.


Singapore though a small place has a lot of masjids one can visit to for ifthar and special night prayers (Taraweeh). Each masjid welcomes you with a warmth you will not find in many places.



During this month I find myself very calm and relaxed; slowing my pace of life; reflecting more on my religion.
Every evening at the masjid as I read the holy Quran I look around me and absorb the silent atmosphere around me. I think what have this world got itself into? look at how peacefull things are inside the masjid; how slowly time moves; how relaxed you feel just reading the Quran.
The minute I step out of the Masjid; I see luxury cars zipping around; big advertisements advertising products that you actually dont need; cute girls walking around in very little but very expensive clothing; men wearing expensive outfits; fast food advertisements with all the calories and junk you can eat and a whole lot of other temptations. Desire starts creeping into me.... This is what is driving our world now. I work un healthy spending hours and hours in front of the computer earning a salary that is necessary to live this cosmopolitan life. I have got sucked in along with all the others around me.
I am sure this world would never open its eyes to reality to the simple life we can lead.. the life of humility and moderation that islam preach..the world or the so called super powers have much to lose if people start realizing the truth about islam..
I am thankfull to Allah that I have been given this chance.. and insha allah I thought I should write this post just to convey what I felt and the way I feel during this special month.
Assalamualaikkum (may peace be with you)....

No comments: